Monday, October 21, 2013

Remodel VS Value

Should I replace my windows before putting my house on the market? Should I update the bathroom? These are just a couple of the questions I hear almost everyday. Contrary to what people think, the rule of thumb is that you don't get back what you put into your home. There are of course some exemption - aren't there always? I found a most useful guide that crunched all the numbers are put some very pertinent stats together for today's sellers. I love numbers, so you can imagine how excited I was to find this and cannot wait to share it with my clients!

This guide provides a pretty good rundown on what you can expect to get back from some house projects. Please keep in mind that this is the average and doesn't guarantee return when you sell you home! But it does give you a great guideline on where to spend your money!

Top 3 best bang for your buck:
1) minor kitchen remodel which includes new appliances and fixtures, new cabinet doors, replacing laminate surfaces with higher end surfaces, and painting and redoing the moldings. 112% return.
2) new garage door. 80% return.
3) major kitchen remodel. 78%.

What isn't worth your time and money if you are thinking of selling?
1) Home office remodel. 30% return.
2) Backup power generator. 30 % return.
3) And the most surprising: bathroom remodel. 43% return.


If you would like to discuss any projects that you are doing and how they will enhance your home's appeal in today's market, please call me. It will be my pleasure to share my knowledge and learn from your experience as a homeowner, a seller or a buyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment